CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Storybook Fairytales don't exist

I don't know if there is something in the water, but a bunch of different couples I know are all wanting to split up. Throw everything away all the years of marriage, for what.... a pipe dream, a fairytale, a romantic version of how life is supposed to be. Guess what it DOESN'T exist!!!!!!!

Now don't think I am all cold hearted and cynical for thinking this, its true. In Cinderella you don't hear what happens after they are married. In a good romantic movie it usually ends when the couple get married. Nobody tells you what its like to be married its not fairytale romance and wine and flowers and candles. Its hard work ,stress , and a lot more hard work! but that doesn't mean its not worth it, you just have to change your perspective. There is lots of romance but its just not in the obvious places!

I never get flowers from Jim EVER. In fact its a running joke that he doesn't give me flowers. However he has coffee ready for me every morning, because when I wake up I need coffee now and don't want to wait for it to perk. I have never had to shovel the sidewalks in the wintertime, Jim indulges my whims(sometimes) and encourages my dreams. There is not lots of wine and candy and flowers in our lives, and there is lots of nights of barley being able to stay up past 7:30. You have to appreciate the Small everyday things that your partner does for you and stop looking for the big romance and then maybe all these people who want to split up would be happy.

2 comments:

M. said...

i absolutely agree. it's something i have actually had to come to terms with. i do blame movies, books, etc for showing me what this picture perfect relationship can look like. it's a hard reality and a hard adjustment to realize that life is about the little things. Keith actually does buy me flowers now and then, but it's not all romance, that's for sure... he does try and make me laugh when i'm angry, and put up with my moods... i think that counts for a lot! i love your blog today :)

sunshinemomentz said...

Fantastic Amber! I don't think there's much more that's needed to be said. People give up too easily these days, I think the sanctity of marriage is mocked because of this. You need to put your post in more public areas it'll knock some sense into some of the people out there.:)